Here are 4 common plumbing problems that we repair on a regular basis and how to prevent them:
- Leaky toilets – At least once a year, check your toilet for leaks by adding a small amount of red food coloring to the tank, and then check the toilet bowl later. If the toilet bowl water is colored red, water is seeping through from the tank, and you should replace the tank ball and its connectors.
- Malfunctioning water heaters – Before doing any maintenance on your water heater, first shut off the power and read your owner’s manual. At least once every three months, drain water from the tank to rid the tank of built-up sediment. Periodically you’ll need to check the water heater burner. It should appear blue with yellow tips. If it’s mostly yellow, or if it’s sooty under there, your flue may be clogged. This is a dangerous situation, and you should call a technician to inspect the appliance. Have your water heater serviced by a professional technician at least once every two years.
- Clogged sink or shower pipes – To help prevent clogs, avoid rinsing fats and cooking oils down the kitchen sink, and fit all your tubs and shower drains with a strainer that will catch hair and soap chips. If left to go through the pipes, these items solidify and cause clogs.
- Garbage disposal problems – Extend the life of your garbage disposal by using cold water when running it, avoiding overloading it, never disposing of hard items like bones or corn husks and never using a caustic drain opener (like Liquid-Plumr). If the disposal stops working, try the reset button located on the bottom of most disposals before calling a technician.
We hear it all the time. Homeowners call us with a plumbing emergency and then say, “I wish I would have known how to prevent this.”
You can prevent plumbing emergencies by being proactive and scheduling a Free Plumbing Inspection with us.
Our free plumbing inspection includes:
- A visit from one of our efficient, highly-skilled plumbing technicians, who will check your home’s plumbing.
- A thorough inspection of your plumbing – everything from pipes, faucets and washing machine hoses, to supply lines, water pressure and toilets.
- A written report of our findings and recommendations on how to proceed.
This is a $167 service and worth every penny, but we’re giving it to you for free until May 31!
Schedule your free inspection today by filling out our online request form or calling us directly at (317) 745-4830.